Thursday, April 28, 2011

Two weeks until take off!






Last weekend I took my longest ride so far ...about 200 miles.  It was all road except a very small portion.  I rode from Blacksburg, VA to Burkes Garden, VA.  Burkes Garden is called "God's Thumbprint" because it's it a huge crater like formation.  The picture above it from the ridge looking down into the bowl or crater. 
As usual the picture does not do it justice.  It's a beautiful place and it was a great place to ride to.



 I stopped at the General Store above for a snack and a rest on the porch.  It was like going back in time.  It's the only visible business in the valley.  I talked to a couple of ladies for a while then hit the road again.  I left through the south side of the bowl/valley/crater-thing.  It was by far the best part.  It was a very windy and fairly steep climb out of the valley on a gravel road ...just the kind of thing I like to ride.  The rest of the trip was mostly small two lane highways and a little bit of four lane highways.  I am still not totally used to highway travel.  I prefer the gravel roads or the smaller back roads.  They are just more fun for me.

So, now I have two more weeks until I take off on the Trans America Trail ...5000 miles of dirt roads from Jellico, Tennessee to Port Orford, Oregon.  I still can't really believe I have the opportunity to do this ...thank you Ginger!  I am excited and nervous about the trip.  When I was younger I drove a 1972 Volkswagon van across most of the U.S. and now 20 years later I am doing it again on a motorcycle!  This time it's a midlife thing for sure.  I guess when I retire I have to take another big trip ...plenty of time for that later!


No comments:

Post a Comment