Friday, November 19, 2010

Short People

My wife is thinking about buying a new car.  Maybe a Honda Element.  Let's say she found a used one that looked good and went out to see it.  The owner showed her around the car and even started it up.  Then she made an offer and the seller accepted ...no test drive.  The car never even moved.


Let's say that she then had it delivered.  The seller showed up with the car on a trailer.  Rolled the car off the trailer and turned the key ...nothing.  The seller is red faced and say he has no idea why it won't start ...it's never done this before.  But imagine that my wife takes it anyway.  The seller push starts it - at least the engine runs - and drives it up the drive way.  Turns off the engine and tried to restart it ...nothing. So, she says "OK, I'll take it."


...it would be crazy, right?


But, that's exactly how I bought my motorcycle.  I really boiled down to two things:  I felt like it was a good bike and I'm short.  I mean, not real short.  I'm about 5'9" ...not real short.  But, I am KLR 650 short.  It's a tall f''n bike. I climbed up on it and my feet didn't touch the ground.  I mean not even on my tippee toes ...nothing.  Couldn't exactly test drive it ...and I was to embarrassed to say "Err... could you ride it and let me watch?"


...and what about it not starting when he delivered it.  That really happened.  It was actually kind of funny.  The seller was very embarrassed.  It was a little surreal.  But I bought I motorcycle that I had never ridden and that didn't even start.


It was just a dead battery.  Worked like a charm after I charged it up. And, I love the bike.


I'm short.  Not real short.  5'9".  But I had to lower my KLR 650 2 inches so that I could ride it.  That meant my kickstand was now too long.  So, I cut it off, welded a nut to it, and created a new foot.  Picture below:




If your interested in how I made it go to:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86456

Umm ...that's all I have to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment