Sunday, December 12, 2010

I New-Coked my fender!

Ginger and I were listening to NPR.  It was some sort of word show.  A guy called in as asked what he should call an upgrade that actually made things worse.  They came up with several, but "New-Coked" was my favorite.

I New-Coked my fender.  The KLR fender gets a bad rap because while it's good at catching mud and water, it's also good at catching wind ...especially on the highway.  So, folks tend to get new fenders.  But a few brave (cheap) folks try to modify their existing fender.  That's me ...brave (cheap).

So, below is my fender in original condition:
...and belower is my New-Coked fender:

OK, so the good part is that it made a huge difference on the highway ...didn't get blown around nearly as much.  It was actually quite nice.  And I took it out in the woods through some major mud/water holes ...huge.  I got virtually no water/mud on me from the front wheel.  That was my fear, that while it was good on the highway it would would not longer be good at ...well ...being a fender.  It passed the test!

Yesterday though, I had the privilege of riding through a couple of wet spots on the road going about 40mph ...muddy droplets covered my visor ...a lot ...a whole lot  ...hard to see.  Like, somehow the water/mud took a very direct route to my face ...not a good thing.  Apparently, my New-Coked fender works well as a fender at really low speeds ...but not so  much at faster speeds. 

Yep, I New-Coked my fender.  Time for a new one.  I think I'll buy one this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment